Saturday, May 14, 2011

Absolutely Devastating

So my team was sent on disaster call to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. We were all soooo excited to hear that. This is definitely going to be an amazing experience, for sure. We are going to be setting up warehouses for all of the donations they are getting. We also may be doing some cleanup and removal.

We have so many concerns, however. How am I going to react to the people's stories? What if I find a body while doing cleanup? Am I emotionally stable enough for this?

We went into the town to register as volunteers today. We did a quick tour of part of the destruction. There is one area that we passed that you KNOW there were buildings and homes some point. But not...its nothing. None of those homes are standing. It's just a pile of rubble. I couldn't believe it. A few of us cried. And I mean I cried for a while.

Seeing something like this makes you think about everything in your life. I can't even put myself in their situation. They lost everything and people that they cared about. I realized that a lot of us take a lot of things for granted. Maybe we should start living our lives differently.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

1 comment:

  1. We are all so proud of you Alyssa. I think you are on the path you were meant to go. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete